Pages

Thursday 20 March 2014

Where's my phone????

How attached are you to your cell phone?
At this point, I sometimes feel like my cell phone should be attached to me. I used to joke that my cell phone was “ my external brain drive” but I’m not sure I am joking anymore. How many phone numbers that you have received since you started using your cell phone, do you know by memory? Can you recall a specific birthday or when your next dentist appointment has been scheduled for without your cell phone? Never mind, I now use my cell phone as a wake up alarm, a weather guide, a calculator and sometimes a flashlight and much more. 
I am completely attached to my cell phone. I notice that I feel panicky when I can’t find it or I haven’t been able to check it for a little while. What exactly is that all about? Is it security, connection, needing the extra memory space or simply entertainment?
As I morph into this cell phone dependent person, I watch those around me negotiate their relationship with their phone. It is the increasingly few that are able to navigate clear boundaries between cell phone appropriate use and dependence. (and we haven’t even mentioned candy crush/ angry birds or the next popular challenge) Not only do we need to navigate the boundaries of our relationship with our cell phone but we also have to renegotiate the rules of the relationship with the people we are no longer connecting with because we are so enamored with or engulfed by our phones.
Sigh, I feel I must finish this blog segment, I need to check Facebook, Instagram, Email, Text message, Snapchat……..
Is there cell phone free time in your life?  Please tell me about it and how it works for you and those around you.

***Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment